In this episode, Professor Lovato talks with his first Black Belt, Justin Rader, about his BJJ journey & what he has learned along the way. Rader has been more focused on his MMA career over the last year, but he recently won the IBJJF Houston Open putting the Gi back on for the first time in a year. He talks about what that meant for him & the future of the sport. Check it out!
In our first episode of 2015, Rafael Lovato Jr. sits down and talks with Black Belt rising star, Garry Tonon. Garry was on fire in 2014 winning both of his Metamoris appearances by submission, showcasing his aggressive submission oriented style. Garry shares how he developed his style and why he is so successful in the submission only format. He talks about his upcoming super fight this weekend against Javi Vasquez & Rafael & Garry also discuss mindset and share their perspective for the right training path for students to follow.
Lots of great insight, check it out!
Follow Garry at his fan page https://www.facebook.com/tonongarry and instagram at @garrytonon
In this episode Rafael Lovato Jr and Hall Of Fame 4X Black Belt World Champion Braulio Estima discuss the current state of Jiu Jitsu and how you can improve your game.
Rafael and Braulio discuss:
- The rules changes in the Copo Podio and other events
- White Belts and Blue Belts using newer guard variations
- The true “essence” of Jiu Jitsu
- What goals you should be focusing in your matches
- Plus much, much more…
If you’re listening from a mobile device, make sure you have good internet connection or it may not play properly.
Fresh out of the 2014 World Championships and securing a Bronze medal, Rafael shares with you his thoughts and advice on how to be the best jiu jitsu fighter and competitor and how to make the sport better..
In this podcast here are some of the things you will discover:
- The reason why Rafael doesn’t compete in the Absolute division (and thoughts on how to make it better)
- What it is like the night between before the Worlds and between day one and two of the black belt division
- Rafael’s mindset going into competition (and what to look out for yourself)
- The surprising referee call that earned Rafael a spot in the semi-finals
- How Rafael “collects data” in his matches (even in a loss) to learn and get better
- Rafael’s overall thoughts on the state of Jiu Jitsu and the 2014 Worlds
- See why Rafael thinks advantages should be taken away from the sport completely
- The three pillars of competition and how you can focus on these three areas to improve at jiu jitsu right now
- Why losing at the colored belt levels doesn’t matter
- When you should start training for the 2015 Worlds
- What’s next for Rafael and a HUGE announcement for later in the year
In this episode you get behind the scenes access to Metamoris 3 from the Referee Scott Nelson and announcer Jeff Glover.
Also, Rafael Lovato Jr shares his thoughts on the event and what we can do to keep progressing the sport and art of Jiu Jitsu.
Just a few things you will get in this brand new episode recorded on April 1st 2014:
- Rafael’s pics on the best and worst matches on the night
- Find out who the identity of the BJJ superstar Jeff Glover had to restrain himself from throwing a chair at during the show
- The real story from Scotty about the Royler and Eddie restart controversy
- The celebrity basketball player that Jeff Glover is calling out to a challenge match in BJJ
- Plus a bunch of other weird stuff
In this somewhat controversial episode Rafael Lovato Jr makes a statement to the Jiu Jitsu community and shares what he believes to be the most important message in Jiu Jitsu today.